Situation (SP 2010, InfoPath Designer 2010):
- ListBlue has a form customized with InfoPath, distinct blue background
- create a template from ListBlue
- create new ListRed from that template
- add more columns to ListRed, customize with InfoPath to include new columns and some more rules in the form, change background to red
- add some items to ListRed, add some items to ListBlue
- both lists now have distinct IP forms and a few list items
- use Site Settings > Content and Structure to move some list items from the original ListBlue to the new ListRed
Issue: ListRed now has reverted back to the original ListBlue form and all the customizations done to the ListRed form have disappeared. ALL ListRed items now open with the ListBlue form, even the ones that were created with the ListRed form. When the ListRed form is opened in InfoPath, the field list shows only the original ListBlue fields and the Update Fields dialog appears ("One or more fields in the SharePoint list have changed. Do you want InfoPath to update the set of available fields? ...").
In SharePoint designer, the template.xsn for ListRed has the same (old) time stamp as the ListBlue template.xsn, so clearly the xsn has been overwritten.
That just happened to me and I can reproduce the scenario.
- How can this be explained? How can a list item cause an override of the list form xsn file?
- How can this be reversed? Restore from backup, obviously, but any other way?