In my present SharePoint farm what we do is create a web app and restore a previously saved backup of a site to the new one, this is usually done using the PowerShell site collection back\restore method. And later on the new site is customized by the developers.
Recently I had to copy a site in my production environment to my development , and this time i took the database base backup of my production site from the DB server and restored it to the development instance . After that I attached this DB to my site on development farm. But when i load my development site its not the exact site as my production site instead what I get is the template site which I used to create my production site earlier(may a year before). My present production site is highly customized and totally different from the template. I am used to performing database backup\restore's on my farms and no before I had come across such a case.
what can be the problem. I am supposed to get the exact copy of a site when I do a DB backup\restore but the restored site am getting is the template that I used to create the site.
All my sharepoint farms are on version 15.0.4753.1000 and DB is 2014 STD