I have a process the goes as follows:
- User requests edit of document (not in SP) through a custom UI
- System adds a copy of document to SP using service method
- SP stores doc and provides URLs to System
- System streams URL to user Browser causing doc to open in native application
- User checks document out using native application
- SP creates copy on users
- User makes changes and saves without checking document in.
- User continues to edit document and finally checks document in.
In SharePoint I would like to understand how to detect the difference between the user action taken at step 7 and step 8. When the user checks the document in I would like to have SharePoint inform System that the document is checked-in. I do not want System to be informed whenever the user executes step 7 (interim saves).