I am working on SharePoint enterprise server 2013, and I am trying to find the best approach I can follow to achieve this requirement:-
- Our customer has a web page which list their employees info.
- Currently the web page (which is an asp.net mvc application) reads its data from external database.
- The web page allows users to click on a employee link and a jQuery dialog will be populated showing more details about the associated employee. Also users can search the web page, using employee name.
So currently our customer requested to have this web page shown inside SharePoint site collections. So I am trying to find what are the available approaches I can follow, either to render the web page as-is inside the sharepoint sites OR to build this web page using share-point list
Now I did the following steps:-
- Inside a team site collection.
- I added a web page.
- Then I add a web part of type page viewer, and I specify the external web page url.
- And seems it worked well. Where the external web page was shown inside the sharepoint web page.
So can anyone advice on this :-
Is my approach of using the page viewer web part , a valid approach to follow?
Is building a SharePoint list which reads its data from external database, and show a dialog box when click on a employee link ,, something that I can develop easily inside SharePoint?. I mean to have the employees list as a SharePoint list,instead of being an external web page ? but not sure if this is an easy thing to achieve ? also we want the ability to sort the names and extensions based on each dept...
here is a general overview of the list we want to build:-
where employees are categorized under dept.
and for each dept, users can sort the names & extension.
when searching for a name, the web page will show the related branches, with the same categories (per Dept) :-