When editing a page, I see the place where I think I should be able to add categories, but I can't select or type anything (either in the box or the symbol to the right). Do I need to enable categories somehow?
Man, this took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to figure out, so don't feel bad.
But if you go to the library settings for your enterprise wiki, and open up the settings for the categories field, you'll notice that you need to actually assign it a managed metadata termset before you can have users enter items into it.
My environment is currently transitioning to 2013, so the screenshots are in 2010-mode. Shouldn't be a problem, most things are more or less in the same place.
- Go to the library settings on your enterprise wiki library:
- We need to edit the column. You can do this on the library directly (look under Columns) or you can do this on the content type. I prefer to work out of the content type. So, under Content Types, select Enterprise Wiki Page:
- Next, click Wiki Categories:
- Then, click the "Edit column" link next to the column name:
- On the Column Settings page, about half way down, you'll find Term Set Settings (no screenshot, sorry, too much identifying information here). This is where you assign a term set. You should see a metadata service that you can drill into.
Of course, this is all assuming your enterprise has set up a managed metadata service. If you haven't, and you're not the farm admin, you'll need to contact someone in charge to make that happen.