I have a SharePoint 2013 web application with a top level site and some subsites, how can I Display a list or library from top level site to subsites.
Same 2010 method still works in the SharePoint 2013.
- open the site in designer
- select all document views of the list /library
- then save XsLtListViewWebpart
- Now edit the page where you want to display it.
- upload and add the webpart.
Please check this for compete steps.SharePoint 2010 display list or library on another site
When you say « top level site » I assume you mean a site collection.
You can try to use a Content Query Web Part (CQWP).
Using this webpart you can configure it to show content from anywhere in your site collection (list or document library).
Note that if your site is a team site, be sure to active publishing features or you wont see the Content Query Web Part in the list of available webparts.