We are facing a very unusual issue at one of our customers. Newly created managed properties are not being filled with values.
- create a new site column (ex: Country, single line of text)
- add it to a document library
- upload a sample document to the library and fill in values for all fields (value for Country: Canada)
- start an incremental crawl (this automatically creates a crawled and a managed property, let's assume that the managed property is called: MPCountry)
- after making sure, that the managed property is properly mapped to the crawled property, we started a full crawl (this should ensure, that the newly created managed property contain the values from documents metadata)
By searching for Canada, the sample document can be found!
By searching for MPCountry:Canada no document can be found. Furthermore, a single log entry can be found in ULS stating that the managed property cannot be found in the search service application.
Other interesting findings:
Old managed properties can still be used to filter for documents.
Old managed properties are filled with values from newly uploaded documents.