I'd like to migrate my SharePoint 2010 Foundation databases from a SQL 2008 R2 server (running on Windows Server 2008 R2) to a server running SQL 2012 (on a Windows Server 2012 box), and would like to know if it is possible, and if there are any huge gotchas or red flags I should be aware of.
I've found some information that suggest it's possible, but a Technet piece that I recently read suggests that in order for the migration to be successful, the target server needs to be the same OS and version of SQL (though I've been burned by putting too much faith in Technet before).
Assuming it's possible, here's the 30K ft view of my plan:
- Stop Sharepoint Services and IIS on my WFEs
- Detach the Sharepoint DBs from SQL SERVER A
- Move all the associated *df files from SQL SERVER A to SQL SERVER B
- Configure security on SERVER B identical to SERVER A
- Attach the DBs on SERVER B
- Verify ports and create aliases on SERVER B
- Fire up all the Sharepoint Services and IIS again
Again, just trying to get clarity on my plan.