My only application server has failed, though I had configured Central Administration with high availability (it's accessible from my web front end server). I tried Googling my problem, though most results were about moving Search Service Application and/or starting with a fresh farm.
My farm currently stands:
- Web applications are on WFEs, so they still load.
- Databases are still live in my SQL servers.
- All SharePoint servers are 2013.
- Service applications won't load - can't search, change managed metadata.
- Application server that failed was called "APP1". New server should, ideally, also be called "APP1".
From what I understand and have read, application servers are scaleable, so my question stands as: In this scenario, to restore access to all of my service applications, should I join a new application server to my farm using Microsoft's method (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261752(v=office.15).aspx), start Central Administration on the new application server, delete the service applications, and provision them again?
Or is there an option to simply start them on the new application server, and SharePoint will tie the knots together as if the app server had never failed?