Is there a way I can get the OOBE approval workflow installed on my foundation test VM? Thanks
If you are using SharePoint Foundation, there are no out-of-the-box workflows provided except for the three-state Workflow.
You can use sharepoint designer worklows for this.
You can also check : http://approvalworkflow.codeplex.com/
For sites and site collections created in Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010, a predefined Three-state workflow is included by default, and is the only predefined workflow available in SharePoint Foundation 2010. The Three-state workflow can be used to manage business processes that require organizations to track a high volume of issues or list items, such as customer support issues, sales leads, or project tasks. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee890119(v=office.14).aspx
So you have to use either SharePoint Designer to create an Approval Workflow or Visual Studio.
Here is designer workflow guide:
- Open the site in SharePoint Designer .Create a workflow to associate with the document library .Set the workflow to start when an item is created and when an item is changed .Also allow the workflow to start manually .
- Choose ‘Collect Data from a user’ .
- Click on the data and give a name to the Task created .
- Define the custom form field name as ‘Approve ?’ .Set the information type as Choice .
- Set the choices as ‘Approve’ and ’Reject’ .Display as Checkboxes .Uncheck the ‘Allow fill-in values’ and ‘Allow blank values’ .Click finish to save .
- Click on users and add the users who will approve the documents .
- Keep the output to variable as collect .
- Add a new step .Choose ‘If any value equals value ’ .Set the any value ‘Data source’ as workflow variables and parameters .Set the ‘Field from source’ as Variable: collect .
- Set the value behind ‘equals ’ as ‘Approve’ .
- Add a new action ‘Update list item ’ .Set the item as current item .Add the field Approval status as Approved .
- Add an Else-if branch to update the Approval status as Rejected .
- Publish the workflow and test in your site .