Here's the error which occurs while installing the binaries
No product configuration wizard yet! Just good old Windows Installer
2014/05/16 23:49:06:025:: MSI(INFO): 'Action start 23:49:06: ArpWrite.' 2014/05/16 23:49:07:409:: MSI(INFO): 'CustomAction ArpWrite returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)' 2014/05/16 23:49:07:409:: MSI(INFO): 'Action ended 23:49:07: ArpWrite. Return value 3.' [...] 2014/05/16 23:49:07:425:: Error: Failed to install product: D:\global\oserver.MSI ErrorCode: 1603(0x643). 2014/05/16 23:49:07:425:: Log level changed from: Standard to: Verbose 2014/05/16 23:49:07:425:: Rolling back chain
I tried to install SharePoint 2013 on a shiny new Hyper-V VM (host OS is Windows 8.1).
This is what I tried already:
- Using Windows Server 2012 (no R2, no update)
- Using SharePoint Server 2013 (no SP1)
- installing all windows udpates prior to sharepoint installation
- any combination of these
- installing office prior to sharepoint
- installing visual studio prior to sharepoint
- using a generation 1 or generation 2 type virtual machine
- different license keys (enterprise and standard for sharepoint)
- using 2, 4 or 6 virtual cpus
- I made sure the .iso images I use match those on MSDN (SHA1 hashes match)
- both online and offline installations
The problem is reproducible. I did manage to successfully install the binaries twice (out of like 50 times). Curious as I am I tried to revert to an earlier snapshot and reproduce the successful installation attempt. I failed twice. I believe there's a 'random' thing part of the equation.
I'm out of ideas.