The definition of a CMS is an application (more likely web-based), that provides capabilities for multiple users with different permission levels to manage (all or a section of) content, data or information of a website project, or internet / intranet application.
Managing content refers to creating, editing, archiving, publishing, collaborating on, reporting, distributing website content, data and information.
An example of a CMS application is a Web Application that provides the following administration, control panel or website management functionalities:
- Create, Edit, Publish, Archive web pages
- Create, Edit, Publish, Archive articles
- Create, Edit, Publish, Archive press releases
- Create, Edit, Publish, Archive blogs
- Add / Edit events into an Event Calendar
- Add / Edit Inventory (products), description, product specifications, prices, photos, etc.
- Enter, Edit, or View orders and print packing slips and invoices
- View reports and statistics site data
- Create and Edit system users which have different permission levels to different section(s) of the above administration