I'm looking to set up a small development environment at home and I'm trying to figure out my options (a key consideration for me is price). Assume I have nothing but a Windows 7 32 bit PC.
I think my options are:
- [Free] Follow this tutorial and install SharePoint directly onto my Windows 7 PC. This sounds very bad to me...
- [Free] VirtualBox running a free trial of Windows Server 2008 running as a guest OS on my Windows 7 PC. This would only be free for 180 days until Windows Server 2008 expires?
- [Expensive (slightly less)] Buy a 64 bit machine and a technet subscription. Then, download Windows Server 2008. Is this even a valid option since technet is for evaluation purposes only?
- [Expensive] Buy a 64 bit machine and a MSDN subscription. Then, download Windows Server 2008. Seems like this would get me a full license of MSVS 2010 and Windows Server 2008
- [Expensive] Buy a 64 bit machine and a license for Windows Server 2008
I'm hoping I can get some good advice, since reading all the HOWTOs has really just made me more confused. Help!