Here is my scenario, I thought this should be straightforward:
- Go to my site's Pages list under View All Site Content.
- Download a copy of the .aspx web part page that I want to transfer to another site.
- Go to the destination site's Pages list, click "Add New Item"
- Upload the .aspx web part page that I just saved for transfer
- Click on the link to the newly uploaded page to see the content: there is nothing on the page!
Why might this be happening? Is there some kind of compatibility issue with the content of my page? The contents of the page are list views, default SP web parts, and a content editor web part, and the list does exist on the destination site as well. Also, both sites are the same SharePoint version, Enterprise 2010, albeit separate farm installations on a separate server.
Interesting to note, though, is that the templates that the pages are using are named slightly different on each site:
Source template was created as: "(Page)TwoColumnGeneralLayout.aspx"
Destination template was created as: "(Administrative Task)TwoColumnGeneralLayout.aspx"
These are custom templates. Perhaps that makes a difference if it is transferable or not.