I have a document library with ~1,800 documents in it. There are 4 content types with about 20 total combined fields. When I view and update properties everything seems to work except for one specific instance. The "Document Description" (internal name "Description") field does not update for Office Documents (DOCX, PPTX, XLSX) but it does update for other document types (DWG, PNG, JPG, PDF).
I'm also able to update all the document properties in Office and they show up in SharePoint except for the description field.
Office Document - SharePoint:
- I open the document library in the browser
- I click on the Edit Control Block and select edit properties.
- I update attributes A, B, C and Description.
- I save and view the attributes in the list view. Only attributes A, B and C are updated but Description hasn't changed.
Office Document - MS Word:
- I click on the Edit Contol Block and select edit in Microsoft Word
- I display the properties in the document panel and I update attributes A, B, C and Description.
- I save, close and reopen the document. All four attributes have been updated and their values retained.
- I view the attributes in the list view. Only attributes A, B and C are updated but Description hasn't changed.
- Through the browser, I can successfully updated attributes A, B, C and Description.
- If I save the docuemnt to my desktop, none of the custom attributes are saved within the file.
So it looks like there is a conflict with the description field in SharePoint and the Office Document. Is "Description" (internal name) or "Document Description" (label) a reserved name? Can anybody provide direction in resolving this?
I created a test document library with a duplicate column ("Document Description" | "Description") and there was no problem updating it so I don't think a reserved name is the issue.