I'm about to start development of client-side application (C# using .NET 4.0) that connects to SharePoint. Mainly to download/upload documents.
I've found out that there are several options:
- using Microsoft.Sharepoint.dll (sdk ?)
- using Microsoft SharePoint Web Services
- Using CSOM
1) I guess that the first option requires me to run code at the server, so for a client-side application this cannot be used.
2) Can I use the SP Web Services for both SP2010 and SP2013 or do you need to use a different library/sdk?/... for each version of SharePoint that you want to target?
3) If I want to target both SP2010 and SP2013, can I just use this COM from SP2010 to also access SP2010: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee537247(v=office.14).aspx or do you need to create an application for SP2010 using a specific COM library and another CSOM library for SP2013 ?
What are the advantages of using CSOM over Web Services ? What are the limitations/differences between both? For a client-side application that just needs to connect to a SharePoint server, what would be preferred ?
Thanks in advance for your advice.