I want to start my first SP2013 project, and for the first release I need to build a knowledge base library for my company. I am planning to have the following general implementation steps, and I would like to share in case I am going in the wrong road:-
- On my Development environment, I am going to create a new Publishing site.
Then inside my publishing site I am going to create 5 separate “Enterprise Wikis” site collection.
Each of the enterprise Wiki site represents a department. so I will have an enterprise wiki site for the HR dept, another one for the legal dept and so on. But all under the main publishing site.
I am going to be the administrator for the whole publishing site.
For each department I am going to give the employees who are under the department a “contribute” privilege so that they can read, view, add wikis. While the will give other employees “read” privileges.
- For some departments such as legal; the department manager asks that he need to approve any wiki before being published. So for these department I will give the department manager the “Approve” privilege and will remove the “approve” privileges from other.
- For the legal department I will specify that the wiki” Require content approval”.
- After finalizing and testing my new publishing site on the Dev environment, I am going to do a back-up for the whole site and create a .wsp and move it to the production environment which will be linked to an active directory.
So based on the above I have the following questions:-
- Will the above GENERAL 8 steps be valid to achieve my first set of requirements for building an enterprise knowledge library?
There are some restrictions which I want to have but I cannot figure out if they are available out of the box in SP 2013:-
To make the wiki taxonomy more controlled; how I can restrict creating new categories to only specified users (mainly senior staff).
Preventing deleting a Wiki unless you are the creator or the Admin
Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for t eh long email.