I have a little bit of a challenge I'm trying to solve. We have a library of documents that we want to make available as a list. We'll use the "preview view", with the document title (as a hyperlink to the document) on the left, and a summary of the metadata with the document content on the right.
This document content thing is proving to be a bigger issue than I suspected. I know it can be done, because I'm able to cut and paste into the list item in Edit view. However, the thought of edit-cut-paste-save a few thousand times gives me carpal tunnel just thinking about it.
Here are our limitations/conditions:
- Foundation 2010 with no upgrades until 2014
- No access to SPD or anything considered "development tools". Of course, that being said, I have been doing a lot of my data scrubbing with PowerShell and Java, then creating Excel files that I import or bulk-edit to my lists.
- Source files are HTML
- They've all been converted to Word 2010, RTF and ASCII and are available for import
- 19 columns of document metadata have been successfully extracted from the files, lives in an Excel file, and imports or bulk edits as a paste into datasheet view just fine
- This metadata does NOT include the document content; that's what I'm trying to figure out right now
Contentis set up as a multi-line text field with up to 1000 lines available
- Preferred format for
Contentis RTF or Rich RTF (I think they might call it extended RTF--can't remember offhand)
- Neither of the RTF formats available for metadata columns allow for bulk editing
- None of the formats available will read/paste/convert into a single Excel cell; line breaks move the next paragraph to a subsequent line in the Excel spreadsheet or the SP datasheet