SharePoint Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for SharePoint enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have created a custom site collection and in this site collection are multiple SPWeb news sites.

The news SPWebs are moderated by different groups of users. I want to create a group for each news web called 'News Owners' and in each web assign specific people who will be in charge of approving content for that web. How do I achieve this? It seems that the sharepoint groups only apply to site collection scope and not to the individual webs.

I am using Nintex workflows in these webs which should send emails to the approvers of the web but I don't know how to achieve this.

share|improve this question

migrated from Mar 4 '13 at 13:32

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

You create the group for every web (they are indeed stored on the site collection level) Then set the appropriate group as approvers in every subweb after breaking inheritance. – Michaël Hompus Mar 1 '13 at 16:35
Is it possible to have the same name for each group? If I try and create a group with the same name in each web, Sharepoint throws an exception saying the group name already exists. The reason I ask is I want to use the same name for the group across all webs as I'm using it as a constant in my nintex workflow. From what you're saying I'd create a 'Japan News Approvers' group and a 'US News Approvers' group if I had a Japan news web and a US news web. – Grooverinthesouth Mar 1 '13 at 16:52
No, that's not possible, every group needs to be unique. That's why SharePoint includes the web name in the default groups. Maybe you can look for people/groups with Approval rights in you workflow? – Michaël Hompus Mar 1 '13 at 17:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.