This is the good old question I just can't fathom there's no good solution for with SharePoint.
The business case is the following
- One document library with several content types and 3000+ documents
- Documents should always have full version history
- When documents are to be reviewed, someone will start the review and invite reviewers
- The reviewers work on minor versions of the document
- Reviewers can be anyone in the company - and the majority of employees will need to review one or more documents sooner or later
- At the same time, only major versions of documents should be available to users where they are not a reviewer
The obvious problem is that to avoid item-level permissions, all reviewers needs contribute access and they need to see draft versions. But this means that they will see all draft versions of all documents, which is not acceptable.
Anyone found a good solution for this?