To accommodate the issue, we did the following:
Since we weren't going to disable the privileges, we did the very best next thing - remove the problem.
We removed all the managed themes, via the following code in a site-scoped feature receiver, on feature activation.
if (properties != null)
using (SPSite _SPSite = properties.Feature.Parent as SPSite)
using (SPWeb web = _SPSite.RootWeb)
ReadOnlyCollection<ThmxTheme> ManagedThemes = null;
ManagedThemes = ThmxTheme.GetManagedThemes(web.Site);
SPFile file = null;
foreach (ThmxTheme themes in ManagedThemes)
file = web.GetFile(themes.ServerRelativeUrl);
and then also disabled the following feature through feature stapling,
'Enhanced Theming' - GUID: 068bc832-4951-11dc-8314-0800200c9a66
Hopefully, this helps someone in the future. I've expanded on permissions/removal of themes at my blog.