SharePoint Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for SharePoint enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On a page, I show an external list. The underlying external content type has an association to another external content type. I built this with sharepoint designer. In the list, the associated type is shown with it´s ID which is not very helpful for the user.

I would like to know if I can set the property that is displayed, e.g. the name.

I can influence the field displayed in the view/edit form by setting this field as title in the summary view of sharepoint designer, section "fields". (Note, "Set as title" is found in the upper ribbon.) However, this does not change the field displayed in the list, which is still the ID.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted
  • First you need to build a view on the table which contains all table columns plus the additional columns that should be shown. Important: All column names must match exactly.
  • Based on this view, a ReadList and a ReadItem operation have to be added to the external content type and are set as default operations. Important: the additional fields must be set "read-only" in the operations if a create and update is intended.
share|improve this answer
I just wanted to say, 2 days pulling out my hair until I found this. The fact that the columns must match exactly on the view, and the additional fields must be set as "read-only" was the key. Thank you! (I would give you extra votes for coming back and answering your own question if I could...bravo!) – russds Aug 1 '14 at 17:45
To be clear, are you performing a join in your new view, or are you actually using SharePoint to pull the data? – DunningKrugerEffect Jun 8 at 19:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.