I went through this https://www.nothingbutsharepoint.com/sites/itpro/Pages/How-to-Improve-Workflow-Performance-in-SharePoint-Server-2010.aspx to make sure workflows run faster but it's very slow.
- It's a non production server so no traffic and no other heavy processes running at the time.
- server has dual processor 6gb ram and plenty of spaces
- non-prod farm consists of app server + 1 wfe server + 1 db server (all are somewhat beefed up)
- The list I am running the test workflow has 20 records and 12 columns
- In the workflow: I am creating a list, then using webservices to get the list id, building string to update a field in the list item, building xml and updating the target list (that i create in the first step of the workflow), lastly sending me an email stating workflow completed.
The whole process shouldn't take more than 1/2 minutes and may be 5 mins max (b/c worflow timer job) but not 1/2 hour. And sometime it even errors out. Sometimes I receive “Due to heavy load, the latest workflow operation has been queued. It will attempt to resume at a later time”.