I did a site restore from an unattached database in order to get back all of my old infopath forms held in a document library. Reason being that I had modified (deleted and replaced with new fields) the template.xsn and published it forgetting that it would cause data loss.
Although I used the .mdf backup file (production backup), attached, exported and imported (to my development env.) the entire site that held the document library, the forms when opened still open up with the new temlate. Now this I understand as it is still pointing to the production library template.
However, in spite of an edit to point to the newly restored backup document library template (which is the old one I am looking for) it continues to open up with the new template.
I have lost a bunch of data and am quite sure I am close to getting it back.