I have a site dropdown column using a list as the datasource (lookup). I was looking for a way to have the column be both required and have a default blank value. I read that is is not possible without code. My workaround was to add an item to the source list called "(select a value)". When I add this to the list, the lookup column on the form defaults to a blank value instead of (select a value). When I remove the item from the source list, the default value is always the first item in the list: "Alden". I don't get it. It exhibits the same behavior for any new values I add to the source list.
Even stranger, if I delete "Alden" from the list, it selects the second (existing) item: "Ann Arbor". If I add "Alden" back, it selects it as the default.
It seems items added after I set the list as a source for the site column don't come up as a default value.
Hope that makes sense...