I've configured a new user profile service application and synchronisation service too, which I have also ran and can see it says there are 128 User Profiles.
Also, under 'Manage User Profiles' I can search for any user and see their details (have to search each user, doesn't show full list for some reason).
However, I'm getting an error when I'm creating a workflow that sends an email to me with my manager's name in the body of the email. This is the error I get after I create the item and the workflow runs:
"Workflow failed to get user profile for user: xxx/HAdes"
I've tried all sorts that google has offered (enable netbios names, reset IIS, restart machine, resync etc) but still no joy.