I took backup from our staging server and restored on my local development machine. My Powershell script is not raising any error while restoration. But when I open the site in browser, it's giving me a weird error message:
The file or folder name contains characters that are not permitted. Please use a different name.
PowerShell command I am using for backup and restore are:
On Staging server:
Backup-SPSite -Identity http://sp-stage -Path \\backup\sharepoint\test1\backup.bak
On my local machine:
Restore-SPSite -Identity http://sp-local -Path \\backup\sharepoint\test1\backup.bak
We are using custom master page and custom page layout for our site and my guess is that above error message is raising because of these custom master pages and page layouts.