Environment: SharePoint 2010 Enterprise Edition, February 2012 CU
We didn't synchronise profile pictures with our Active Directory so far, but decided to change that. We tested it in our dev environment, and it worked. We tried it in our prod environment, and it doesn't work.
What we did was
- have a connection to ap.ourdomain, and a connection to all the other domains (uk.ourdomain, sa.ourdomain, am.ourdomain, ...)
- Add the User Property mapping Picture (SP) <- thumbnailPhoto (AD) (for both connections)
- ran an incremental sync, but later also full sync
- ran Update-SPProfilePhotoStore -MySiteHostLocation mysite -CreateThumbnailsForImportedPhotos $true with the correct account (farm admin) (Note: mysite resolves to mysite.ap.ourdomain for us, for colleagues in Europe it resolves to mysite.eu.ourdomain, etc.)
Still, pictures don't show up for our users. We noticed that some pictures actually DO show up for users outside of ap.ourdomain who've got their photo in their MySite (so the PictureURL for colleagues in the US may be mysite.am.ourdomain/User Photos/Profile Pictures/....)
Is there any way to check if the photos are indeed imported from AD? Anything we did wrong?
Update: Checked in the FIM client, thumbnailPhoto is synced as seen in DS_FULLSYNC, but no photos show up in MOSS_EXPORT or mysite/User Photos/
Update 4 June 2012: Wanted to escalate it to external support today, and while preparing my email, I wanted to take screenshots of our setup. What can I say, the Picture<->thumbnailPhoto mapping was gone! It was still there last Friday (I looked at it in the late afternoon, and saw that mapping don't know how many times since we encountered this issue), but today there was no trace of it (no, nobody removed it). So we set it up again, ran a full sync, and this time it worked! I have no idea what happened, I can only say that it's working now as it should.