SharePoint Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for SharePoint enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have:

  • SP2010 rented from a company. 1 site collection

I would like some people to ONLY access a sub site without seeing the homepage. Is this possible?

I have tried but I get a message saying that you are not authorized to view but when I give them permission for the home page, they can

Thank you

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You'd need to break permissions inheritance on the Home page in the Site Pages library to include only those who you wish to have access to view it. For those that you do not wish to have access, you're going to need to give them some alternative URL to get into the site.

Typically when someone tries to access, they get redirected automatically to the home.aspx page. For users that don't have access, they'll get access denied even though they have the ability to access other content. You'll need to create some other landing page for those users and provide them the URL so they can get into the subsite.

share|improve this answer
Ok, let me try that, will keep you updated. – Arthor Feb 28 '12 at 14:36
Wow - you are right.. Thank you!, Would put +1 but need a rep of 15. Thank you though – Arthor Feb 28 '12 at 14:41
You're welcome. – Eric Alexander Feb 28 '12 at 14:43
Is there any reason why people cannot access */SitePages/Home.aspx but they can access all the other stuff, lists, folders etc. – Arthor Feb 28 '12 at 16:39
That's the way its working because that's what you asked for. If the users are not supposed to see anything at all in the subsite, then you need to remove their access to the site altogether. – Eric Alexander Feb 28 '12 at 17:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.