I'm a SP 2010 beginner (although a long time ASP.NET developer) and I thought a good learning exercise would be to:
- Create a list template in SP Designer
- Import that list into VS 2010
- Create a new list definition in VS 2010 in a separate project
- Copy and paste most of the XML from step 2 into the "appropriate" places in the new list definitions elements and schema file.
From there I intended to create some feature/event receivers, but I'm still stuck on step 4.
For some reason, I had to add a features folder, which existed in the project with the imported template (step 2). Although I can deploy successfully now and create an instance on that list defintion, I can't create a new item; I assume because I've fudged something in my XML copying/pasting.
Anyway, my plan now is to get really familiar with CAML and find out where I've gone wrong. So, 3 questions:
- Any suggestions for where I've gone wrong?
- Is this example too contrived and just sending me down a rabbit hole?
- Any good resources other than the MSDN spec for learning the SP 2010 CAML schema/syntax?