SharePoint Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for SharePoint enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to create an app page with some multiline textboxes.

In those textboxes, user should be able to type users, and put as many users or groups in the normal sharepoint way: domain\user1; domain\user2, etc

How can I achieve this functionality in the multiline textbox?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

If you mean the width, you just set the width of the PeopleEditor control.

<SharePoint:PeopleEditor Width="300" ID="myppl" runat="server" AllowEmpty="false" MultiSelect="true" />
share|improve this answer
this is what I was looking for.!!!! – Esteban V Feb 17 '12 at 15:01
btw, after the user has selected/typed the users, how can I know which users he typed? I meant I can do it with .Text property, but probably there is a better way to get the user id or something? – Esteban V Feb 17 '12 at 15:02
Please make a separate question of that and I'll promise to answer :) – Jussi Palo Feb 17 '12 at 15:07
I just did it:)… – Esteban V Feb 17 '12 at 15:11

Could you just override the style the people/group input field to be taller? I don't think you're going to be able to mimmic the functionality of the people picker easily.

Looking at both 2007 and 2010 person/group fields, you'd just need to apply a height property to the .ms-inputuserfield in your application page CSS to set a height to say 100 px. This will mke the input box appear as a multiline field but still retain the functionality of a person group field.

share|improve this answer
this is what I want in my Application page.… – Esteban V Feb 17 '12 at 14:20
The larger people picker field or the larger flyout wndow? – Eric Alexander Feb 17 '12 at 14:24
the large people picker field. – Esteban V Feb 17 '12 at 14:33
edited response to include the CSS class of a p/g field to override to increase the size. – Eric Alexander Feb 17 '12 at 14:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.