I'm looking for a descent development computer that targets SharePoint 2010.
The computer must be a laptop and does not have to rely on a domain controller (or at least not all the time).
What are the required hardware components?
I assume that :
- An Intel Core I5 is the minimum, I7 recommended
- 6 GB of ram is the strict minimum. 8 Gb is good. Buying a laptop with 4 SO-DIMM bank (and then having the possibility to go up to 16GB) is a choice for the future.
- A 7200rpm drive is absolutely necessary. A combination of a SSD drive (for programs) and a mecanic hard drive (for data). Can greatly raise the speed of the system.
- a 15" screen is the minimum, 17" or + is good, but with a weight cost.
- Screen resolution must be at least 1650 * 1080 pixels. More a visual Studio requirement than SharePoint, but that matters.
Of course, the ultimate laptop has a cost. Staying a correct quality/price ratio, what are your feedback about such configuration? If I have to sacrifice one component, which is the less useful in SP dev scenario?