We have a SharePoint 2010 site that has a subsite which then contains a subsite. It looks something like this hierarchically:
- Site Root - Subsite A - Subsite X (subsite of A) - Subsite Y (subsite of A)
Is there a way to have the subsites A, X, and Y all show the same navigation in the Quick Launch area as Site Root? I've tried "Display the same navigation items as the parent site" in the various sites' Site Actions > Site Settings > Navigation. However, that causes the sites to show a blank Quick Launch.
What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Update: Found somewhat of an answer, though I'm not sure why SharePoint behaves this way: If we have a parent site and any number of child sites, to get the children to show the parent navigation, this is what we need to do:
- On the parent site, go to Site Actions > Site Settings > Navigation.
- Select "Display only the navigation items below the current site" along with "Show subsites" and "Show pages."
- In the child site, go to Site Actions > Site Settings > Navigation.
- Select "Display the same navigation items as the parent site."
If on the parent site you choose "Display the same navigation items as the parent site", the child won't show the correct navigation. In our case, it showed nothing at all!
If anyone can shed some light on why it behaves this way, that would be great.