I've been having trouble getting AD groups to show up for use in Audience rules, and a search online shows a lot of other people do, with very few sharing what is required.
Can anyone add anything to the following steps that are required to get this working?
- Create a Global Security Group
Group must be under an OU that is captured by the User Profile Import Connection search base/filter- Sharepoint 2007 seems to find groups even outside the scope specfied. That is a bit annoying for My Site profiles, as you can't hide groups with email addresses, but here it makes things a little less complicated.
- Group does not need to be mail enabled
- Exchange enabled groups do not need to be visible to address lists
- Distribution Groups will not work
- Add at least one user to the group
- Empty groups are not picked up
- Run a full profile import to pick up the group from AD
- An incremental import is required to pick up changes to group membership, but won't get new groups
- Wait for 10 minutes - it can take a while before the import process is complete, despite SharePoint saying it is Idle.
- Run an Audience compilation to update the membership of your audience - this seems pretty instant, but it is hard to know when the above process are complete.
This doesn't quite seem complicated enough to me. I am sure there are some more gotchas in there, just to keep us on our toes!