I am using WSS 3.0
When I hover over an item (i.e document) and click the down arrow, the drop down menu appears (ie. View Properties, Edit Properties, Delete, etc.) but actions only work in Chrome, not in IE 8 (neither in normal nor in compatibility mode).
If I click delete to remove an item, the menu disappears and nothing happens. The item is never deleted and no error is ever thrown (I have enabled debugging in IE but no error thrown, it simply does NOTHING in IE).
EDIT: @AlexPoint, Hi, thanks, hopefully these answers will help:
AlexPoint: Please tell us: (1) If the issue has arised after an change (like patching, migrating, etc.) or if you just setup a new farm. (2) If the issue occurs with other client machines (3) If you have any customizations applied that might effect your site. –
1) Yesturday I was handed a brand new server 2003 box built and installed this week.
My collegue who installed server 2003 selected the out-the-box installation of WSS2.
I checked in Google Chrome and the context menu wouldnt even appear. Therefore I assumed that this is due to wss2 being developed for IE6 and that an upgrade would resolve this Bug with all modern browsers.
I downloaded wss3 from microsoft, installed, ran prescan (no errors) and ran the config leaving everything default - success, it was upgraded and actually looks alot better, we even have a search bar now!
I tried to install all the wss3 service packs, but the installation I downloaded from microsoft must have included these as it said they were already installed.
Now that I am on wss3 I start to delete "Sample Project" or "Sample Document" etc.again, but this time when I hover over the item, click the arrow which brings up the drop down (with "view properties", "edit properties", "delete" etc.etc.") but whenever I click on any of these options, IE7/IE8/compatmode does nothing. I tested in Chrome and since upgrading to wss3 the menu now actually appears and the buttons even work! Unfortunatly everyone uses Internet Explorer 8.
Half of SharePoint has these context menus, so again this means no one can use SharePoint yet. I have opened up "Developer Tools" in IE and added breakpoints to various functions called by the onMenuClick event of the context menu items, but the breakpoints are never hit or captured and I gave up before my stress levels became irreversible.
2) I have tested on 5, yes 5 lol! systems in Internet explorer 8, they all have the same problem. Please remember that this is out the box installation, no changes made, simple upgrade to wss3, still no changes made to the config, look and feel, or to any of the asp scripts.
3) no customizations - this really is a "Fresh" installation.
Anyone who helps me fix this ; I love you long time
EDIT: Whilst Google Chrome actually works, it throws an error which isn't thrown in IE, but what I believe is causing the problems in IE.
Uncaught TypeError: Object #<HTMLTableCellElement> has no method 'click'