I have a Media Web Part on a page that displays video using Silverlight™. When I enable the BLOb Cache and enable it for the file extension my video file has, the video stops working and just says "Loading, please wait". If I disable the BLOb Cache or disable it for the particular file extension, it starts working again. I'm using Windows 7 on the client side.
Here's what I've concluded so far:
- The problem exists in all browsers
- The problem is not related to the
max-ageor to client-side caching: the problem exists whether or not the video file is actually downloaded from the server
- When the BLOb Cache is enabled, the video is served using GZip encoding (otherwise uncompressed)
- When the BLOb Cache is enabled, the video is served using chunked HTTP encoding (otherwise normal encoding)
- The video file is served to the browser correctly when the BLOb Cache is enabled (verified using Fiddler)
Here are my theories so far:
- This is a bug in Silverlight (relating to either GZip content encoding or chunked HTTP encoding)
- This is a bug in Windows 7 (relating to what, I don't know)
- This is a bug in SharePoint (not likely, since the video file is actually served to the browser)
- This is a bug in the Silverlight part of the Media Web Part (relating to either GZip content encoding or chunked HTTP encoding)
- The BLOb Cache actually doesn't support video (and this is not documented anywhere)
I'd like to know firstly whether this is reproducable by y'all, and secondly whether anyone has a theory or a citation on why it isn't working or whether there is a way to fix it. Currently, the "fix" is to disable the BLOb Cache for all video file extensions.